Date: Thu, 12 Mar 92 19:01:36 PST
From: one of our correspondents
Subject: `Mansion' is a weird wonder
To: yucks-request

By Robert P. Laurence
Copley News Service

   It's not always the funniest thing on TV, but if they gave out
Emmies for "Most Peculiar," "Maniac Mansion" would be a top
contender.
   How else do you classify a comedy about a sincere but inept
basement scientist whose household includes a fly with a human head
and a 4-year-old son who stands 6-foot-4 and weighs 250 pounds?
   Standing conceptually somewhere between "Frankenstein's Family"
and "The Addams Family Father Knows Best," "Maniac Mansion" is
actually the first live-action TV series to emerge from George Lucas'
Lucasfilms production company, "The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles"
notwithstanding.
   You've never heard of it? You're not alone. Cable's Family Channel,
usually the home of Cream of Wheat-wholesome programs, the channel
where Pat Boone might be considered a little on the controversial
side, is not where you'd expect to find anything so off-kilter.
   But the little-known show is well into its second season on the
Family Channel. It's attained considerably wider fame in its home
country of Canada, where it's seen on YTV, a north-of-the-border
counterpart to Nickelodeon.
   Borrowing its title and lead character from a Lucas video game,
"Maniac Mansion" can gross you out one minute and delight you the
next with a bull's-eye takeoff on a favorite movie or TV show. Most of
the actors and writers are alumni of the old SCTV comedy sketch
series, and they've brought their squirrelly sensibilities with them
to the Toronto set.
   That set, by the way, may look familiar to anyone who's ever toured
a home designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. It's a deliberate, lovingly
detailed copy of the unique Wright style, complete with geometric
patterns that repeat themselves in the stained-glass windows, concrete
pillars and furniture.
   Heading up the cast is SCTV's Joe Flaherty as Dr. Fred Edison,
whose experiments never quite work out.
   As a result of an accident in his basement laboratory, his
4-year-old son, Turner, has suddenly grown to the size of a very large
adult, played with a squeaky voice by hulking George Buza, a veteran
of both SCTV and numerous horror flicks. In the same accident, Uncle
Harry's body was exchanged with that of a fly, leaving the household
with a flying, talking fly, played by John Hemphill.
   Other characters include Fred's patient wife, Casey (Deborah
Theaker), his son, Ike (Avi Phillips), and Harry's wife, Idella
(Charlotte Wilcox).
   Spoofs of other shows and movies are a staple of the "Maniac
Mansion" repertoire. Jose Ferrer last fall was victimized by one of
Fred's experiments in an episode that seemed quite like "The Man Who
Came to Dinner." An episode starring another SCTV alum, Dave Thomas,
accurately satirized "The Godfather," complete with romantic Italian
music and the ring-kissing scene witnessed through a doorway.
   The man in charge of "Maniac Mansion" these days is creative
producer Michael Short, who says, "It has an English sensibility to
it, in that you take an absurd situation and then play the reality of
it. Here's the absurdity, now what if it really happened. Suppose your
uncle really was a fly with a human head?"
   Short, speaking from his home in Dudas, a small town about 40 miles
from Toronto "Where I can escape the hurly-burly of Toronto life"
 carefully explained that Fred is definitely not your typical movie
mad scientist.
   "He's just a guy who loves science," Short said. "He's got all
the spirit and desire in the world. He hasn't quite got the talent the
others had. The spirit is definitely there."
   Might Fred have been another Dr. Frankenstein, if he were only a
little brighter? "Yeah! Right! Now his quest is to see if he can get
Turner and Harry back to normal."
   What happened to Turner and Harry, he added, "was not Fred's
fault." Turner chased a ball into Fred's transmogrifier chamber, and
Harry followed Turner. When the door opened again, well ...
   But Short couldn't explain it in any more detail than that:
"There's a few holes in the scientific part of it. I'm not going to
try to cover those."
   Fred, nevertheless, "would like to change the world. First he
wants to get Harry and Turner back. He's fascinated by new
discoveries. He's obsessed with it. He's what we would want all
scientists to be, but we'd want them a little more talented."
   The producers of "Maniac Mansion," meanwhile, are working on
another experiment, one more successful than what Fred has
accomplished so far. They're hoping to go into their own laboratories
and come out with a "Maniac Mansion" movie.