[Prev][Next][Index]

Yucks Digest V3 #22

Yucks Digest                Tue, 22 Jun 93       Volume 3 : Issue  22

Today's Topics:
                                A Clue
                      How 'bout them Hooters!!!
                           Intel outside!!!
                     net.views -- computer crime
                                 NOTW
                           Quote of the day
                      Something you might enjoy
                          the gravity stone
                        They're at it again...
                        walk on the wild side

Back issues and subscriptions can be obtained using a mail server.  Send
mail to "yucks-request@cs.purdue.edu" with a "Subject:" line of the single
word "help" for instructions.

Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1993 05:15:44 GMT
From: berryh@huey.udel.edu (John Berryhill, Ph.D.)
Subject: A Clue
Newsgroups: alt.rissa

I find it useful to clip the clues from the daily crossword puzzle
so that I have a few on hand when I encounter someone who
desperately needs one.  That way, all I have to do
is to reach into my wallet, tear one off and
say, "Here have a clue."  Although it
is usually best if you know the
corresponding answer to the
clue which you have
just given to
whomever.

47. Siberian dwelling

And I damn near had to get a divorce when my wife wouldn't accept
"yurt" in a Scrabble game until I returned home from the library
with the definition photocopied from an unabridged dictionary, but
by that time my basset hound had eaten an N and two E's right
out of my little Scrabble tile pew (upon which I had drawn in
a little shelf holding bibles and hymnals, although when you play
with my wife you get the feeling that there should be a kneeling
bench, which I didn't think of since I was raised in a Presbyterian
church and, in general, Presbyterians make enough money that the
concept of kneeling to anyone for anything is just not something
that comes to mind all that often, but I thought for a long time
that we didn't kneel because we were Pedestrians instead of
Presbyterians and that therefore kneeling would be out of the
question by definition, but so would sitting down for that matter).
Scrabble is one of the few things we take seriously in our house,
so you can imagine our dismay at our having to wait until our
errant EEN had completed it's journey through our canine's
colon.  But what finally emerged would have been unusable.  So as
we pondered our options, my wife found a little note that had
come with our Scrabble board to the effect that if the game had
not been originally supplied with the requisite complement of
tiles, then we should remit the attached coupon and they will supply
the lost letters by return post.  Whether they would provide the
same replacement service for tiles that had fallen victim to the
culinary misadventures of bassett bitches, they did not say.  So
Tracy suggested that we send it in anyway.  And we did.  And they
sent the tiles.  And I would feel guilty about it, but having been
raised Presbyterian I know that it was foreordained that we should
have received those replacement tiles.  Selchow and Righter work
in mysterious ways.

So now you know.