Date: Mon, 25 May 92 23:23:51 CDT
From: Patricia O Tuama <rissa@cs.uchicago.edu>
Subject: "In the past we have tried too much to prevent the making of mistakes"
To: eniac

the Quayle Quarterly people have just published "What a Waste
it is to Lose One's Mind; the Unauthorized Autobiography of
Dan Quayle."  it even has an unauthorized foreword by george
bush which includes the following quote:

	"Take out the word `Quayle' and insert `Bush' where-
	ever it appears, and that's the crap I took for eight
	years.  Wimp.  Sycophant.  Lap dog.  Poop.  Light-
	weight.  Boob.  Squirrel.  Asshole.  George Bush."

the book covers quayle's family and upbringing, his college
education, golfing, the years he spent in the national guard
bravely defending his country, his drug experiences (including
the DEA coverup), golfing, his admission to law school via an
affirmative action program, golfing, marilyn, marilyn's hair,
col robert thieme, golfing, indiana politics, golfing, the house
of representatives, golfing, the senate, golfing, national poli-
tics, jack kennedy, the vice-presidency, golfing, anatomically-
correct dolls from chile, foreign dignitaries' funerals, south
america, golfing, the council on competitiveness, deregulation,
golfing, NASA, fund-raising for the GOP, golfing and, perhaps
most chillingly, quayle's plans to run for president in 1996
("I am interested in vice presidents who have served as presi-
dents.  I can't say the thought [of the presidency] hasn't
crossed my mind."  "We will lay the groundwork for our next
great triumph; a fifth straight conservative victory in the
year 1996.")

some choice quotes:

	"I know one committee I don't want -- Judiciary.  They
	are going to be dealing with all those issues like
	abortion, bussing, voting rights, prayers.  I'm not
	interested in those issues and I want to stay as far
	away from them as I can."

	"I stand by all the misstatements that I've made."

	"I believe we are on a irreversible trend toward more
	freedom and democracy -- but that could change."

	"Who would have predicted that Dubcek, who brought the
	tanks into Czechoslovakia in 1968 is now being pro-
	claimed a hero in Czechoslovakia?"

	(When asked to define wetlands) "How about if we say
	when it's wet, it's wet?"

	"Our future competitiveness demands that true environ-
	mentalists and responsible leaders not allow the well-
	intentioned concerns of the American public to be mani-
	pulated and exploited as a means to re-establish unnec-
	essary regulatory, economic and social controls."

	"I've played there (Burning Tree Country Club) before
	and I'll play there again.  I'm not going to protest
	Burning Tree.  Maybe they'll change.  I think it would
	be a good idea for them to take women into the club.
	I don't have any problem playing there in the meantime."

	(Commenting on SDI as described in Tom Clancy's novel,
	Red Storm Rising) "They're not just novels, they're read
	as the real thing."

	"Think of all the things we rely upon in space today:
	Communications from ... Japan, detection of potential
	ballistic missile attacks.  Ballistic missiles are still
	here.  Other nations do have ballistic missiles.  How do
	you think we were able to detect some of the Scud mis-
	siles and things like that?  Space, reconnaissance, wea-
	ther, communications -- you name it.  We use space a lot
	today."

	"Quite frankly, teachers are the only profession that
	teach our children.  It's a unique profession and, by
	golly, I hope when they go into the teaching field that
	they do have that zeal and they do have that mission and
	they do believe in teaching our kids and they're not get-
	ting into this just as a job or a way to put food on the
	table."

	"We're going to have the best educated American people in
	the world."

and my favorite,

	"Mars is essentially in the same orbit ... somewhat the
	same distance from the sun, which is very important.  We
	have seen pictures where there are canals, we believe,
	and water.  If there is water, that means there is oxy-
	gen.  If oxygen, that means we can breathe."

What a Waste it Is to Lose One's Mind; the Unauthorized Autobio-
graphy of Dan Quayle, by the editors of The Quayle Quarterly.
Bridgeport, CT.  c1992.