Date: 31 Jan 91 20:13:47 GMT
From: browns@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (Stan Brown)
Subject: Dave Barry -- Credit Record Attack
Newsgroups: misc.consumers

[I think this is appropriate, especially after the Lotus Markeplace
flap. --spaf]

			CREDIT RECORD ATTACK
			   by DAVE BARRY

	Recently I received an exciting offer in the mail from my credit-card
company. Usually their offers involve merchandise that no actual human
would ever need.

	``Dear Mr. Dave Barry,'' they say. ``How many times have you asked
yourself: `Why can't I cook shish ke-bab AND enjoy recorded music?'
Well, Mr. Dave Barry, because you are a valued customer who has
consistently demonstrated, by paying us 3 million percent interest, that
you have the financial astuteness of a lint ball, we are making
available to you a Special Opportunity to purchase this deluxe
combination gas barbecue grill and CD player.''

	But this recent offer was even better. This was an offer to sell me
MY OWN CREDIT RATING. Yes. One of the great benefits of living in
America is that, regardless of your race or religion or hygiene habits,
you are entitled to have a credit rating maintained by large
corporations with powerful computers that know EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU. For
example, let's say that this morning you deposited your paycheck at the
bank, made a phone call, wrote a check for your electric bill and
charged some gasoline on your credit card. By this afternoon, thanks to
high-speed laser fiber-optic data transmission, the computers will know
EVERY SEXUAL FANTASY YOU HAD while you were doing these things. And
don't think they keep it to themselves, either. They are as human as the
next person. They go to computer parties, they have a few too many
diskettes, and the next thing you know they're revealing your intimate
secrets at the rate of four billion per second.

	That's why I was so excited about this offer from my credit-card
company to sell me the TRW CREDENTIALS service. TRW is a large company
that collects credit information about people and sells it. According to
the TRW CREDENTIALS offer, if I give them $20 a year, they'll let me see
my information.

	The offer states: ``Financial experts recommend that you carefully
review your credit report TWICE A YEAR to check its information and make
certain that it is accurate.''

	In other words -- correct me if I am wrong here -- they're telling me
that I should give them $20 a year so I can look at the information
ABOUT ME that they collected WITHOUT MY PERMISSION and have been selling
for years to GOD ALONE KNOWS WHO so I can see if it's INCORRECT.

	Which it very well could be. Because even with computers, things
sometimes go wrong. I know you find this hard to believe, inasmuch as we
live in such a competent nation, a nation capable of producing
technological wonders such as the Hubble Orbiting Space Telescope, the
only orbiting telescope in the universe equipped with dark glasses and a
cane. But sometimes mistakes do get made, and they could affect your
credit.

	For example, just recently we got a phone call at home, at night,
from a woman from a collection agency. She said we'd be in big trouble
if we didn't turn over four cable-TV boxes, which she said we had failed
to return to the cable company when we moved a year ago. I explained
that, (1) it was only two boxes, and (2) we had made three appointments
with the cable company to get them, but nobody ever showed up, and (3)
we would love to get rid of them, and (4) maybe SHE could get the cable
company to come get them. The woman said, basically, that it was too
late for that, because this matter had been turned over to a COLLECTION
AGENCY, which is apparently several levels above the U.S. Supreme Court,
and we better hand over four cable boxes or this would go on our
Permanent Credit Record.

	So I called up the cable company, and joined the millions of
Americans on hold, waiting to talk to one of the nation's estimated four
cable-company service representatives, two of whom are on break. Future
generations, when they look at formal family portraits from this era,
will say, ``There's Aunt Martha, who was a teacher, and the man holding
the phone receiver to his ear is Uncle Bob, who was on hold to the cable
company.''

	Finally, miraculously, I got through, and even more miraculously,
they came out and got our boxes. And I was feeling very good about
America until the collection-agency woman called again, at night, to
inform me that we'd be in big trouble if we didn't turn over the boxes.
All four of them.

	So I don't know what our credit record says. I wouldn't be surprised
if it holds us largely to blame for the savings-and-loan scandal. So I'm
definitely interested in the TRW CREDENTIALS offer.

	However, I don't like to do business with an outfit unless I know
something about it. So I've decided to develop a file on TRW. I'd
certainly appreciate anything you can contribute. But I don't want any
wild speculative unfounded rumors, such as:

	-- TRW is the world's largest distributor of hard-core pornography.
	-- TRW has destroyed two-thirds of the Earth's ozone layer.
	-- TRW is a satanic vampire cult headed by the love child of Jim
           Bakker and Leona Helmsley.

	There is no need to run the risk that absurd statements such as these
might get into print. In fact, it would probably be a wise idea for TRW
to examine my file, from time to time, just to make sure NOTHING
INACCURATE appeared in there.
	I'm sure we can work something out.