Date: Thu, 7 Feb 91 19:05:11 PST
From: one of correspondants
Subject: How do you say "fore!" in Russian?
To: spaf

     Space Station Plunges To Earth
   MOSCOW (AP)
   A Soviet space station the size of a railroad car plunged through
the atmosphere in a "rain of fire" over Argentina on Thursday, ending
a month of suspense over where it would land.
   The long period of speculation had triggered panic in one Russian
village, which shut down its businesses and schools for fear of
falling debris.
   The 40-ton Salyut-7 space station re-entered the Earth's
atmosphere early Thursday and "burned out of existence," the official
news agency Tass said.
   Pieces of the spacecraft fell on a sparsely populated area in the
Andes mountains near the Chilean border, the Argentine government
news agency Telam reported. It said Salyut-7 "triggered a rain of
fire."
   Soviet media have closely followed the descent of the 9-year-old
spacecraft the past month. The lack of precise information about the
landing, combined with the Soviet obsession with UFOs and widespread
superstition, caused a wave of anxiety in at least one Russian
village.
   The government daily Izvestia reported civil defense officials in
Upper Baskulchak, about 620 miles south of Moscow, ordered businesses
and schools closed because of the fear debris would strike. Water in
the village was turned off, people bought all the food in stores, and
some residents fled, according to Izvestia.
   As it turned out, Upper Baskkulchak had nothing to fear.
   The Argentine news agency said blazing pieces of the Salyut-7
complex could be seen from several towns in the provinces of Cordoba,
Buenos Aires, Mendoza, San Luis, Neuquen and Chubut.
   By late afternoon, there were no reports of injuries. No fragments
were reported recovered.
   "Thank God there were no victims or destruction," Vladimir
Kolomin, press officer at the Soviet Embassy in Buenos Aires, told
The Associated Press.
   The space station was traveling at about 17,000 mph.
   Tass said that just before the spacecraft entered the atmosphere
at 6:47 a.m. (10:47 p.m. Wednesday EST), ground controllers tried to
direct it toward water, but there was not enough fuel to complete the
maneuver.
   Soviet diplomats were put into action to notify Latin American
countries of the expected time and place of the fallout. Tass also
said the United States and Soviet Union activated national Centers
for the Decrease of Nuclear Danger to exchange information.
   The superpowers set up the centers in 1987 to exchange information
about ballistic missile launches, nuclear weapons tests and arms
control treaties.
   The space station was put into orbit in April 1982, the last one
in the Salyut series, which is the second generation of Soviet
spacecraft. It hosted 10 crews, two of them international.
   Tass said the station should have stayed in orbit for several more
years, "but solar activity suddenly increased in 1988, and the
station began sharply to descend." Sunspots create solar winds, a
stream of ionized hydrogen and helium that decays a spacecraft's
orbit.