Date: Tue, 5 Feb 91 13:10:25 PST
From: one of our correspondants
Subject: A typical Mensa member, perhaps?
To: spaf

     Jury To Mull Cola Poison Case
   BARTOW, Fla. (AP)
   Eight years of arguments over loud music, yelping dogs and other
aggravations escalated into murder when a man tried to commit "the
perfect crime" by poisoning his neighbors' Coca-Cola, a prosecutor
said.
   Jurors were to receive final instructions from Circuit Judge
Dennis Maloney Tuesday before deliberating charges against George
Trepal of first-degree murder, six counts of attempted first-degree
murder and product tampering.
   Trepal, a 42-year-old computer programmer and MENSA high-IQ club
member, is accused of spiking an eight-pack of Coca-Cola bottles in
October 1988 with thallium nitrate  a highly toxic heavy metal  and
secreting them into his neighbors' kitchen.
   Peggy Carr, 41, lapsed into a three-month coma and died after
sipping the soft drink. Four other members of her family were
poisoned, though not fatally.
   If Trepal is convicted, prosecutors intend to seek the death
penalty.
   "What we have here is a man who thought he was so smart he could
commit the perfect crime," prosecutor John Aguero said in closing
arguments Monday. "He may be the most diabolical man you will ever
see before you in your life."
   Trepal's attorneys dismissed the prosecution's case as being
devoid of evidence linking Trepal to the poisonings.
   "There is no evidence Trepal put thallium into those bottles and
intended to kill anyone," Wofford Stidham said. "The prosecution is
stacking inference upon inference."
   But Aguero said no crime is perfect, and proceeded to rattle off
what he considered was evidence linking Trepal to the crime.
   It began with the first statements made to detectives, Aguero
said, when Trepal theorized the reason the Carrs were poisoned was
"somebody wanted to move them out."
   That bore a striking resemblance to a threatening typewritten note
the Carrs received a few months before the poisonings: "You and all
your so-called family have two weeks to move out of Florida forever
or else you all die. This is no joke."
   The prosecutor also noted Trepal's home was found to contain a
small vial of thallium nitrate, he kept a detailed homemade notebook
titled, "General Poisoning Guides," with several entries on thallium,
and he owned an extensive store of dangerous chemicals.
   But Stidham blasted it all as a "huge pile of suspicion."

[Kathy (my spousal unit) and I met while both of us were in Mensa.
....Hmmmm, maybe I just supported our correspondant's assertion?  --spaf]