Date: Sun, 3 Feb 91 11:58:21 PST
From: one of our correspondants
Subject: In the news
To: spaf

     Vietnam era music for gulf war

     By Otto Kreisher Copley News Service   DHAHRAN, Saudi Arabia
The sand-colored "deuce-and-a-half" truck stops along side in the line for
a security check.
     The young camouflage-clad driver beats time on the steering wheel
as American music blares from a portable radio laying atop the dusty
dashboard.
     Through the open window comes the sound of The Animals roaring "We
Got To Get Out Of This Place."
     Later, the car radio carries the mellower sound of The Beatles'
"Eleanor Rigby."
     The year may be 1991 and the distant sight of sand hills and the
Arabic script on the highway signs may say Saudi Arabia, but the music
coming from Armed Forces Radio recalls the 1960s and the jungles of
Vietnam.
     As if caught in some kind of cultural time warp, the youthful
warriors of Operation Desert Storm, most of whom were infants when the
Vietnam War ended 17 years ago, have taken to the music from their
fathers' war.
     The deejay who put the first Armed Forces Radio show on the air
last summer even opened up with the flagrantly plagiarized greeting
"Goooood Mornin' Saudi Arabia," from the movie about the Army's Vietnam
radio operation.
     "I thought the other day, it's almost Vietnam all over again,"
said Sgt. Major Robert Nelson, whose 30-year Army career included tours
in Vietnam. "I was listening to The Animals, to (Bob) Dylan..."
     Nelson, who is command sergeant major for Armed Forces Radio and
Television System's operations in Saudi Arabia, said the music put out
by the four regional stations is not dictated by some out-of-step
senior officers, as portrayed in the popular film "Good Morning
Vietnam."
     Since the Persian Gulf crisis turned into active war on Aug. 17,
"the music we've been using has been mostly requests," Nelson said in a
telephone interview from his office in Riyadh.
     Suprisingly, those requests are more like the format of a
"Classic Rock" or "Golden Oldies" station than the "top 40s" selection
expected from mostly high school-educated men and women whose average
age is in the low 20s.
     For every rap or heavy metal song played, there would be half a
dozen like Huey Lewis and the News praising "The Power of Love" and
Starship promising "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now."
     During a midnight drive back to the hotel the Dhahran Armed Forces
Radio station was even offering a soothing "Unchained Melody,"
requested by some military unit out in the desert.
     Nelson said the requests generally fall into three categories.
"There's rock and hard rock. Then there's the soft and cuddly,
sentimental stuff.
     "Amazingly, when the action gets harder, such as when thee
fighting started at Khafji (Tuesday night), almost immediately the
music get softer, like `Wind Beneath My Wings,' or `Til I hold You
Again'," he said.
     Nelson said you can "almost track the course of the war" by the
requests. An example, he said, was the week the Army's Patriot Missiles
were knocking down all of Iraq's Scud missiles aimed at Dhahran and
Riyadh.
     "We got a lot of requests for `Another One Bites the Dust' and
`Hit Me With Your Best Shot'," he said.
     The other popular category, Nelson said, is the "patriotic stuff"
such as Neil Diamond's "Coming to America," Bruce Springsteen's "Born
in the USA," and the military's unofficial anthem, Lee Greenwood's "I
Love the USA."
     At the same time, the station recently played a rap-style song
that had as a counter refrain the classic peacenik's chant "all we are
saying, is give peace a chance."
     The requests also show some thing of a manic mood swing with such
songs as Gary Macguire's Vietnam-era downer, "Eve of Distruction," and
Bobby McFarren's 1988 musical valium, "Don't Worry, Be Happy."
     Nelson said each of the four stations has a different flavor.
     Riyadh, where the Central Command headquarters means a lot of
senior officers and non-commissioned officers, the requests are more
for the lighter music.
     Dhahran, which reaches younger support personnel and air crews,
leans more toward hard rock.
     King Khalid Military City, a sprawling multi-purpose base, does
more "classics and golden oldies," Nelson said.
     And Jubail, with a largely Marine and Navy audience, does a lot of
country and western, he said.
     Although AFRTS has 5,000-watt transmitters at the four main
stations and a number of relay stations, the music does not reach many
of the front-line grunts who now have moved closer to the Kuwaiti
border.
     The front-line troops also have been deprived of another source of
music. A pool news report said the allied air campaign against Iraq
apparently knocked out the transmitter for "Baghdad Betty," whose
broadcasted music and heavy-handed propaganda entertained the combat
units until two weeks ago.
     In the tents and sand-bagged "hooches" of the front line, most of
the music now comes from tiny tape decks or boom boxes.
     And that music shows the same strange throw back to the Vietnam
era, according to a pool reporter with the front-line Marines.
     The young Marines in the barren desert of northeastern Saudi
Arabia are listening to Dylan, and Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin, whose
songs bolstered another generation of grunts at Khe Sahn, or Hue or Da
Nang.
     "Close your eyes and you could be back in Saigon," Marine Maj.
Joe Kirkman told the pool reporter. "Hearing these kids listen now to
what I listened to then is a kind of shock, a real 'Nam deja vu."

[ Hmmm, I hadn't thought of it before, but deploying ordinance is
probably more appropriate to the sound of Hendrix or The Doors than it
would be to "We Got the Beat" or "Can't Touch This," although both have
the right kind of titles.  Listening to Jim Morrison would put me in a
grim, fatalistic, determined mood; listening to Vanilla Ice would put
me in a psychotic, genocidal rage.  In fact, it does that now.
--spaf]