Date: Fri, 12 Oct 90 11:59:00 PDT
From: "Sally C. Barry" <barry@dizzy.enet.dec.com>
Subject: high fiber optics

From:	DECSOB::drewry "Raymond Drewry" 12-OCT-1990 13:48:42.13
Subj:	high-fiber optics

>From redford@rgb.enet Fri Oct 12 06:18:24 1990
To: "silent-tristero@think.com"

    Dimensional Foods Corp in Boston has developed a way to craft
    brightly colored holograms on such dietary delights as breakfast
    cereal and candy. Conventional holograms are generated by bouncing
    laser beams off objects and reproducing the reflected light with
    foils or emulsions.  Dimensional Foods uses photosensitive films to
    fabricate molds that, when stamped into food, create patterns of
    microscopic ridges that produce holographic images when hit by
    ordinary light. The patented process, which the company plans to
    license to food and confectionery manufacturers, can add up $50,00
    to the cost of production equipment. But Dimensional Foods officials
    are betting that the gimmick will more than pay off by attracting
    kids to lollipops and cereals stamped with holograms of their
    favorite cartoon characters.
    {Business Week May 21, 1990}

------- End of Forwarded Message