Date: Thu, 30 May 1991 20:40:38 PDT
From: one of our correspondants
Subject: / net.rumor / mmm!mrgofor / Mar 19, 1986 /
To: yucks-request

This story did not happen to me, and I disremember where I heard
it, so it may not be true, but it's interesting nonetheless,
so...

There was a computer system that was experiencing intermittent
power failures that were proving impossible to track down.
Every means of recording device and electrical filter was used,
but to no avail.  The power failures always seemed to happen
soon after lunch time, but for no apparent reason.  After months
of agonizing work, the technician finally figured it out:

The room on the other side of the wall from the computer room
was the men's bathroom.  The grounding for the computer room
circuits went to the water pipes that serviced one of the
toilets.  The building was rather old, and the toilets were in
some need of repair.  It seems that when one sat on the toilet
seat, the weight of the sittee would cause the whole
construction to lean forward a bit - not much, but enough to
cause the marginally attached grounding wires to separate from
the water pipes as the pipes bent along with the toilet - voila
- the computer re-boots.

I bet that was a hard one to track down!