Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1992 17:18:06 PDT
From: "Chris Kent Kantarjiev" <kent@parc.xerox.com>
Subject: a brief trip report about Survival Research Labs
To: The great and wonderful eniac <eniac@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>

Today, as you've all already heard, was to be SRL's next show in San
Francisco. This was part of the SFMOMA's groundbreaking ceremony for
their new site; for a long time it looked as if only ticket-holders
(i.e., paid up museum members) would get to see this. But that turned
out not to be the case: the site was a corner lot in the SOMA district.
The only thing that kept the public out was some chain link fence.

The show was scheduled to start at 11:00, and there was a rumor that
SRL would actually start on time for a change. I took up a position at
the fence in the back corner, roughly opposite the magazine-loaded can
hurler. Just in front of me was the V-1 rocket engine, flanking a
makeshift pagoda of corrugated steel. I could see the new walker
peeking out behind the pagoda. Over by the can hurler was something
that had to be the slime gun (about 3 feet of rusty steel tubing, with
a short right angled end, the muzzle of which was pointed upwards at
about 45 degrees) and the rail gun. There were a few more structures,
some covered, promising more to come.

The crowd was a good SOMA mix: lots of black leather, shaved heads,
some tattoos, mixed in with the curious financial district types in
their suits and ties, some Pacific Heights swells who had escaped the
SFMOMA compound in order to get a better view, as well as folks who had
come up from the Peninsula just for the show (I overheard a heated
discussion behind me of the relative merits of awk vs perl).

The SRL crowd was huddled in front of us, apparently getting last
minute instructions from Mark Pauline. Most of them were dressed like
something out of
Mad Max: well-worn overalls, bandannas, work gloves. Along with hearing
protectors, hands-free radios, belt power packs and large joystick control
setups.

The group broke and started taking up positions. One person climbed a ladder and
placed two gallon milk containers of what looked like pig's blood on top, and
cut into the top of each container, allowing the blood to start seeping out.

The can hurler operator put on his head mounted display and started
tracking the gun. It was amazing how responsive it was.

I put in my earplugs.

Someone started saying "Get off the roof, you're in the target
zone" over the PA. One of the boundaries of the lot is a two story building with
a great view of hte lot from the roof. The problem is that this building wall is
exactly opposite the rail gun, the can hurler, and the slime gun.

About this time, a worried looking man in a white shirt and blue sweater started
walking around, pointing at pieces of machinery and asking questions. Mark went
over and conferred with him. It wasn't hard to figure out that this was a
representative of the local constabulary ... and word quickly spread through the
crowd that it was, indeed, a fire marshall. Fire extinguishers were located and
placed. The man seemed appeased, but still looked worried.

Engines were started, people took their places, the soundtrack began...

The walker began walking. Pretty impressive, even though it walks in fits and
starts; I couldn't tell if this was an operator or machine malfunction. The
mobile V-1 started up, pointed itself at various portions of the crowd and
fired. Firing came in two modes: either continuous 20-foot streams of flame, or
seriously impressive short bursts accompanied by a powerful concussion wave. (I
particularly liked the little weather-vane that indicates, presumably to the
operator, the direction in which it is next likely to move.) After a bit of
this, a gallon container of blood was ejected, intact. I assume this was meant
to melt and be spewed, but it didn't work out that way.

About this time, a large canvas over the site was unveiled, revealing a depction
of various bestial acts involving female humans and what looked like boars. Went
with the theme of SEXUALIZED WAR, I guess, but it didn't really do much for the
tableau in this critic's opinion.

About 10 feet from me, a compressed air fog horn went off about every 35
seconds. This was seriously loud, and watching the reaction of the people who
hadn't brought ear plugs was fun.

Another small machine rolled over to the pagoda before me. This one had
a claw like a lobster's, and pressed this against one of the window
panes at the base.
It then began to shake by means of two eccentric rotating weights in its
platform. This shook the structure and eventually broke the glass.

The firing mechanism on the can hurler had apparently jammed, and was
being looked at furiously; the operator had his VR goggles off. The
slime gun was working, sort of, but had nowhere near the anticipated 200 ft range.

The rail gun was working great, though. Lots of flying sparkly bits of molten metal!

The V1 rolled over to another structure and stuck its snout into an opening
therein in what must have been intended to be a sexual metaphor. It then fired,
inflating the parachute on top of the structure and generally starting small
fires all around.

The giant arm began to poke its head, err, arm out of its hiding place and was
met by cheers from the crowd.

The shaker grabbed one of the cardboard supports on the pagoda and shook and
pulled until the whole thing fell. The blood didn't really spill, though. The V1
came over and took a few blasts.

Oh yes, the fire marshall. He'd been darting around (not easy for a man easily
6'4") looking worried. He now started looking *really* worried. As the
V1 nuzzled into the pagoda and increased the flames, the whole
structure collapsed on the shaker. It looked like the shaker blew some
hydraulics at this point,
because it mostly stopped moving (one drive wheel was off the ground but kept
turning), trapped under the flaming debris.

The shaker is gasoline powered.

The fire marshall pretty much stopped the action and wanted the fire put out.
About 10 people strode up with 10lb CO2 fire extinguishers. I laughed. There was
no way that they were going to put out that gas and paper fire with those
extinguishers -- and they didn't. Some effort was made to pull the debris away,
a forklift was started and brought over but inexplicably not used. Someone
through a gallon of blood on the mess, in a pleasant gesture but to little
effect.

About this time, some fire department folks with real uniforms and
badges and walkie-talkies showed up. One of them turned out to be the
chief. None of them looked happy.

More efforts were made to douse the flames, with extinguishers, slime,
and water. The shaker had mostly been extricated and now it was just a
cardboard fire. The soundtrack was shut off, and it was safe to say
that the choreographed portion of the show was over.

But we asked, just to be sure. "Yah, it's over, we're shut down. It
burned much better than we expected." The fire marshall was walking
around with Mark, having grasped him by the arm just above the elbow:
this really didn't look good, but Mark had a very satisfied look on his face.

Then we heard sirens. The fire chief got several SRLers to pull back
some of the fence, a couple of firemen came in with a water hose and
doused the rest of the flames. The crowd dispersed.

They say that the reason that SRL doesn't get to put on a show more often than
every three years in SF is that it takes about that long for the administration
to change or enough people to forget what the last show was like so they can get
a permit again...