Date: Thu, 5 Mar 92 13:31:58 PST
From: one of our correspondents
Subject: `Bubba Vote' Defined, Surveyed
To: yucks-request

   EDITOR'S NOTE  Have you noticed all the pundits on MacNeil-Lehrer
and "All Things Considered" talking about the "Bubba vote?" You know,
which way are the good ol' boys leaning this political season? AP
Southeast Regional Reporter Christopher Sullivan offers some
fictional findings.
By CHRISTOPHER SULLIVAN
   ATLANTA (AP)
   The critical "Bubba vote" in Super Tuesday's Southern primaries
has spoken in an Associated Press poll, favoring candidates who chew
kitchen matches, wear shirts with snaps and take a hard line on
sassing Mama.
   While the spectrum of Bubba views turned out to be as wide and
lumpy as the seat of a 1979 pickup, there was near unanimity in some
areas. For example, 91 percent were more likely to trust a president
with sideburns, the survey found.
   Bubbas were deeply split on other issues, including whether
candidates should drink Pepsi, rather than "Co-Cola," with breakfast.
One percent said "longneck Bud."
   "Any serious candidate would have to address these and other
issues," such as a Dolly Parton postage stamp, said Dr. David Cannon,
interpreting the poll results. He is a psychologist in Clemson, S.C.,
and author of "Hey Bubba! A Metaphysical Guide to the Good Ol' Boy."
(That part is really true.)
   Another scholar, Bo Whaley, who presaged many of the survey's
findings in his book "Rednecks and Other Bonafide Americans" (also
true), said Bubbas will probably decide the election.
   "The only reason a lot of Bubbas won't vote is if their truck
won't start, or either they lost their jumper cables," he said from
his think tank in Dublin, Ga.
   According to the Census Bureau, there are about 1.1 million
Americans called Bubba, except by their mothers.
   The AP's nationwide survey of 1,409 of these Bubbas (well, six,
actually, interviewed at two Chattanooga-area truck stops and at a
barbecue place called Piggy's in Mississippi) has a margin of error
of, say, 94 percent.
   The survey contained one finding that could discourage every
campaign.
   When asked to describe who best exemplifies their political ideal,
67 percent of Bubbas questioned named Hoss Cartwright, from "Bonanza."
   Personal issues have dogged many campaigns this year. Probing
Bubbas' views on these sensitive subjects, the poll found the
following preferences:
    Slightly over half, 56 percent, said a president should be able
to roll his own cigarette, down from 71 percent in a similar poll in
1988, but dramatically higher than the 22 percent for non-Bubbas.
    30 percent said it was "very important," and 22 percent "somewhat
important," that a candidate not be afraid to spit now and then.
    24 percent, answering a question about what they'd add to the
presidential oath, quoted a lyric by country singer John Conlee: "I'm
a common man, drive a common van; my dog ain't got a pedigree."
blueprint for avoiding a shutout among the Bubba vote. Question No.
25 asked:
   What's the worst thing a candidate could do: (a) drive a Toyota to
a campaign rally (b) kiss Saddam Hussein on both cheeks; or, (c) sass
his mama?
   The response was unanimously (c), except for one Bubba who
muttered something about Belgian endive.