Date: Fri, 3 May 91 01:13:11 PDT
From: one of our correspondants
Subject: "Hey!  Quiet back there!  I'm trying to run my camcorder!"

   Video bootleggers clash with film houses
   by ROBERT KOCH

   WASHINGTON, May 1 (AFP) - American video pirates are walking into cinemas
with camcorders and taping films from the screen, then openly hawking them on
the streets of New York, Washington and other U.S. cities, cinema owners claim.
   "Low quality video versions of 'Dances with Wolves,' or 'New Jack City,'
have been confiscated from street sellers" in several major U.S. cities, said
Mark Harrad, spokesman for the Motion Picture Association in New York.
   They are "sold for 10 or 15 dollars, crude copies with a blurry screen and
coughing and crunching of popcorn on the soundtrack," he added. Saavy to their
clients, the video pirates are going after the most current box office hits.
   Kevin Costner's Oscar-winning 'Dances with Wolves' and 'New Jack City' with
Mario Van Peebles about trafficking in crack cocaine, a movie that has sparked
looting and rampaging in some U.S. cities, have been in demand.
   The pirate video vendors are less than surreptitious about their trade in
Brooklyn and Harlem where it is not uncommon to hear them barking at passersby
"Get your bootleg videos!" and selling them from car trunks.
   Video pirating "has nothing to do with the usual bootlegging," said Molly
Kellog, a spokesman for the Warner Bros.' anti-pirating operation in Los
Angeles.
   "There are always people, although they might be very few of them, wanting
to have a copy of a movie that's not officially out. And their friends would
go: 'Oooh, why don't you make me a copy?,'" she said.
   Warner Bros., which produced and distributed, 'New Jack City,' takes the
bootlegging seriously because the copies could compromise the sales of the
company produced videocassettes that take about six to eight months to market.
   Video piracy costs the film industry 150 million dollars a year, Mr. Harrad
said. "If we're talking world wide, it's 1.2 billion dollars."
   Last year, police seized some 180,000 pirate videos cassettes in the United
States.