[Prev][Next][Index]

Yucks Digest V1 #44

Yucks Digest                Wed, 17 Apr 91       Volume 1 : Issue  44

Today's Topics:
                           From Unix Today!
                         I'm getting weird...
                              Lightning
                               marbles
                  MIDAS LIVES!!!! (was:Quickies...)
           Subject: Coming soon to a video store near you?

The "Yucks" digest is a moderated list of the bizarre, the unusual, the
possibly insane, and the (usually) humorous.  It is issued on a
semi-regular basis, as the whim and time present themselves.

Back issues may be ftp'd from arthur.cs.purdue.edu from
the ~ftp/pub/spaf/yucks directory.  Material in archives
Mail.1--Mail.4 is not in digest format.

Date: Wed, 17 Apr 91 15:17:53 PDT
From: qcktrn!ross%harpo@uunet.UU.NET (Gary Ross)
Subject: From Unix Today!
To: spaf

Any Way You Slice It, Sun's PizzaTool Is Food For Thought

	No doubt bowing to pressure from some of its academic users, Sun
Microsystems has made available the PizzaTool, a network pizza-creation
utility for NeWS.
	And in yet another advancement for the free exchange of software,
Sun is offering PizzaTool source without charge.
	Officials at Sun are touting the new utility as a productivity
tool, designed to ease programmer stress while provididng a robust, if
somewhat greasy, source of nutrition during late-night work sessions.
	Users of the new PizzaTool can select from a variety of toppings
that can be dragged onto a blank pizza screen.
	The pizza, a PostScript image in a NeWS window, can be previewed
and spun, causing the toppings to blur into that just-cooked look.
	From there, the order can be faxed to your local pizza parlor for
delivery or, if you've got the necessary hardware, processed on the spot
by your very own pizza server.
	PizzaTool developer Don Hopkins from Sun's TNT group (that's The
NeWS Toolkit grouip) said the PizzaTool is nothing more than a PostScript
file with an attached manual page, which can run on any Sun platform loaded
with Open Windows 2.0 and the latest NeWS toolkit, which was released late
last month.
	Hopkins said PizzaTool wasn't really designed as a product but as
a demonstration of what TNT can do.
	The PizzaTool demonstrates various aspects of TNT operation,
including "drag-and-drop," for draggin toppings onto your pizza; rotation
of a PostScript object, for previewing the final cooked pizza; and pop-up
menus, for showing a list of possible ingredients and their prices.
	He said the PizzaTool even has a built-in cost-cutting feature
that allows it to chec prices of the toppings you have selected, and try
to build a cheaper pizza using a price list from your local pizza parlor.
In its current incarnation, the PizzaTool will take an order and send it
via E-mail to an address on the Pizza Server. At Sun, the server then sends
a fax order to Tony and Alba's pizza place in Mountain View.
	But Hopkins, who reportedly spend several hours examining different
pizzas at Tony and Alba's to give the PizzaTool the correct look-and-feel,
said the back-end pizza processing is entirely up to the user.
	Hopkins said he ahs already been asked to consider creating a
SushiTool for West Coast Sun users, an extension he said may take on greater
importance as Sun moves into the Japanese market. ANd while he acknowledges
a DeliTool might be welcome on the East Coast, he adds that the greatest
challenge for hist take-out toolkit may come from the U.K., where warm
beer is the rage.
	A WarmBeerTool. What will they think of next?