[Prev][Next][Index]

Bank reserves credit card for 16th century religious leader

	WASHINGTON (UPI) -- Martin Luther didn't get much credit in the 16th
century when he challenged the practices of the Roman Catholic Church,
but in the 20th century, he has a chance at a $6,000 line of credit with
a Maryland bank.
	The German religious reformer, whose criticisms of Rome resulted in
his excommunication and paved the way for the birth of the Protestant
faith, has a gold card waiting for him in Chevy Chase, Md.
	The Rev. John Steinbruck, pastor at Washington's Luther Place
Memorial Church, said Thursday he received a letter from Chevy Chase
Federal Savings Bank, addressed to Luther, who died in 1546.
	``It said he is part of a unique and distinguished group of people,''
Steinbruck told United Press International. ``It said he has preferred
status.''
	The letter announcing Luther's gold card was signed by Donald
Moroney, a vice president at the bank. Moroney was unavailable for
comment Thursday.
	Meanwhile, Steinbruck took the opportunity to write a response to the
bank, to tell it Luther doesn't need a line of credit.
	``When it comes to credit, we don't need any,'' he said. ``We have
unlimited credit, which is grace. And he already enjoys a preferred
status.''
	Steinbruck said the offer was appreciated, however, since Luther
never received such recognition during his life, and still suffers some
questions over the reforms he advocated.
	The letter from the bank caused Steinbruck to wonder whether any
other notables had been offered the card.
	``I assume the same letter and application went to Abraham Lincoln
down at the Lincoln Memorial,'' he said. ``Attila the Hun would probably
get one if his name appeared in the phone book.''