[Prev][Next][Index]

And we thought US TV execs were bad!

I wonder what companies wil sponsor this?

  Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
  Subject: New British sitcom stars Hitler (no kidding)
  Date: 16 Oct 90 02:37:08 GMT

You're going to think that Im joking, but believe me, I'm not.  And I rarely
post to the entire world, but I think this is (in my opinion) unbelievable.
And I do hope that someone's says the Electronic Media was fooled, but we'll
have to wait and see....anyway:

(From Electronic Media 10/15)
British Satellite Broadcasting has announced that it is commissioning a
controversial sitcom series about the home life of Adolf Hitler and Eva Braun
following the airing of the pilot episode last week.

"Heil Honey, I'm Home" will be broadcast in 1991 on BSB's Galaxy Channel
which can be received by cable tv and by satellite dishes.  The 13-part
half hour series, which is billed as a domestic sitcom in the style of
"I Love Lucy", features Adolf Hitler as a bumbling suburban husband living
with Eva Braun next door to a Jewish family named the Goldsteins.

According to the director of programs at BSB, "Some people felt that the
portrayal of Hitler in the pilot was, for example, inadvertently too
sympathetic.  In the series, he will clearly come off the loser in the
domestic disputes."

Another BSB spokesman said that the series was unlikely to offend many people.
"It's about Adolf Hitler and Eva Braun and they are living next to a Jewish
couple.  The atmosphere is more 1961 Hollywood than it is 1931 Berlin.  The
story is really about the conflict between the neighbors.  Hitler is always
outwitted.  The only people this series will offend are neo-Nazis."