[Prev][Next][Index]

Great moments in environmental activism

>From the December 17, 1990 issue of Fortune, in the "Keeping Up" column:

Great Moments in Environmental Activism

CHEYENNE--The Interior Department ... soon may have to determine
whether flatulent sheep, cattle, and buffalo are contributing
to global warming.

The Washington-based Foundation on Economic Trends filed a
lawsuit last year accusing the federal Agriculture, Interior,
and Energy departments of failing to measure how much flatulent
livestock are contributing to global warming by pumping methane
gas into the atmosphere....

"It is basically known as the cow pie case," said the Interior
Department's top lawyer, Tom Sansonetti....

Sansonetti is taking the...fracas seriously, especially after
losing an early round in court... "We filed a motion to
dismiss...and we lost.  It's going to full trial on this
issue," he told the Wyoming Stock Growers.

				--From an AP dispatch.