Fwd: This is just getting too weird.

Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 08:05:00 -0400 (EDT)
From: Nev Dull <nev@sleepycat.com>
To: nev@bostic.com (/dev/null)
Subject: This is just getting too weird.

Forwarded-by: Christopher Jackson - High End Software <cjj@sun.com>

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/p/nm/20011009/wl/imdf09102001085522a.html
http://www.j-roen.net/bert/index.html
http://www.lindqvist.com/bert.php
http://www.roadskate.de/bertisevil/exclu006.htm
http://www.snopes2.com/rumors/bert.htm
http://www.tctubantia.nl/CDA/regioportal/1,2078,1654__772741_,00.html
http://www.wired.com/news/conflict/0,2100,47450,00.html
	Bert is Evil!

http://www.wired.com/news/conflict/0,2100,47450,00.html

   Osama Has a New Friend
   By Declan McCullagh (declan@wired.com)
     WASHINGTON -- Evil Bert, meet Evil Osama.
     Right now, the two appear to be inseparable -- at least on ubiquitous
   posters carried by pro-Taliban protesters.
     Devotees of freak-humor websites will recall the infamous "Bert is
   Evil" page, a shrine to the gourd-like Sesame Street character, which
   offers compelling photographic evidence of the muppet consorting with
   Hitler, the KKK and, of course, Jerry Springer.

   Now, in a move that defies all rules of logic, a doctored photo
   showing Bert with the world's most-wanted terrorist, Osama bin Laden,
   seems to have made its way into an anti-American Islamic protest in
   Bangladesh.
     Reuters photographs of a rally this week organized by
   Jaamiat-e-Talabaye Arabia, a radical Islamic organization, show that
   protesters created a pro-bin Laden sign out of a collage of photos
   they apparently lifted from Internet sites.
     But -- is it fate or coincidence? -- the sign featured a Bert muppet
   sitting on the left side of the man believed to be responsible for the
   bloodiest terrorist attack in U.S. history.

   An editor at Reuters' photo desk in Washington confirmed that the
   maize-colored muppet did appear in the photograph. "It is in the original
   image, though I couldn't say how it got there. It wasn't hacked," the
   editor said.

   One of the first sightings of the Osama-Bert poster was in a news photo
   on a Netherlands portal site. Enterprising Net-researchers soon reported
   it appeared in Sweden's leading tabloid, and also on Yahoo's news photos
   section.

   The "Bert is Evil" webmaster replied by writing this on his website:
   "Yesterday a lot of you alerted me to a picture of a Taliban propaganda
   poster with Bert! Reality is imitating the Web! I am honestly freaked
   out!  Holy shit!"

   In an e-mail message to Wired News, webmaster Dino Ignacio said: "My
   theory is that the Taliban have Internet too. And I think Bert is
   universal enough to appeal to them, too."

   A closer scrutiny of one of the photos reveals a second apparent faux pas
   on the part of the radical Islamic protesters: Another clip art photo of
   bin Laden used in the photograph seems to show him with a bottle of Jack
   Daniels.

   It didn't take long for word to spread. A discussion on lindqvist.com is
   titled: "The mystery of the Bert-bin Laden connection evolves with more
   images coming in every day. Is this a big hoax? Has somebody got too much
   time? Or is somebody in Bangladesh trying to confuse the world?"

   Bert is best known for his role on the long-lived Sesame Street
   children's show, where he lives with his housemate Ernie.

=======