From: NIZARD Alain-F <NIZARD%FRBDX11.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: A new procedural subject oriented language.
To: Tom Reid <reid@ctc.contel.com>

Hi,
I'm proud to present you Sysyphus.
Sysyphus is a new procedural language wich is subject oriented, in that sense
that it is directly referent to local structures which are defined on every
site. This permits Sysyphus programmer to omit to specify details of the
algorithms which are left to local implementers.
The debugging facilities of Sysyphus are great in comparison with all others
languages in particular the test hasbeen is very useful. As for an example
you can write:
   if x hasbeen 3.14 then raise execpt.
Each time this instruction is executed all the past values of the variable
x are tested in front of the numeric value 3.14 and execpt level is raised
if only ONE past value has been equal to 3.14. The mechanism of the raise
exception process is the same as in PL/1.
you also naturally can write:
   if x+3 hasbeen 2*y-5 then ... any action...
One other usefull instruction of Sysyphus is the COMESFROM instruction
which can precise from what instruction you must arrive when executing
the present instruction in a COMESFROM construct you can use the keyword
ANAYWHERE like the OTHERWISE clause in a cas statement. Here is an example:
(the symbols $$deb and $$end stands for the beginning and end of the program
respectively)

   BEGIN
   COMESFROM $$deb if x hasbeen any then WriteLn ('you must use FRESH vars')
   ANYWHERE WriteLn ('Hello world');
   END.

The present implementation of Sysypus is wrotten in Sysyphus but bootstrapping
is possible with little Sysyphus compilers (a subset of Sysyphus) those
compilers are written in TECO and translate a littlele Sysyphus programs in
a TECO program witch in turn can be executed. Little Sysyphus compiler are
now beeing develloped in LISP and in native '386 (C mode) and could be
available in the late June.
   Please direct inquiries about the Sysyphus report to Pr. Jaques BERNARD
(BERNARD AT FRBDX11.BITNET)
   And ask TECO Version to Dr. Jean BERTHOMIEU (BERTHOMS AT FRBDX11.BITNET)
   Pr. ROUANNET (ROUANNET AT FRBDX11) would respond to inquiries about LISP
Version.
   I would manage '386 ones.
Moreover we are planning to put on our server Distrib@dist.Triceratops.fr the
whole source of the tree versions. This would be achieved round 04/01/92.