Date: 5 Jan 91 11:15:02 GMT
From: jimcat@itsgw.rpi.edu (Jim Kasprzak)
Subject: Adirondack fishin' tale

 One day in the village of Lake George, Murray Campbell, the local
conservation officer, stops by Frieda's Diner for a cup of coffee.
In the parking lot he spies old Walter Shaw's pickup truck, so he
parks next to it, him and Walt being friends from way back. On his
way past the truck, he can't help noticing that there in the back
of Walt's truck, all lined up nose to tail, are thirty-three big
old lake trout. Now, that's a pretty good day's fishing around
Lake George; it's also against the law, since the legal limit is
three per person.

 Well, folks up in the north country never were much for doing things
in a hurry, so Murray walks into the diner, says hello to Frieda,
sees Walt sitting at a stool by the counter, and goes over and sits
next to him. Murray takes off his conservation officer hat, orders
a cup of coffee, and proceeds to start talking to Walt about the
weather, family, what have you.

 Soon enough the talk turns to fishing, as it's likely to do in those
parts, and Murray clears his throat and says, "Y'know, Walt, I
couldn't help but notice those thirty-three trout out there in the
back of your truck. Now you know as well as I do that the legal
limit is three, so unless you can do a pretty good job of explaining,
I'm gonna have to write you up for a violation."

 "Explainin'?" says Walt, indingnantly. "Why, I'll do ya better than
that. You come out fishin' with me tomorrow and I'll show you how
when I fish, I can't possibly come back with any _less_ than thirty
trout!"

 "Now, that'd be a neat trick, Walt," replies Murray. "You convince me
that you can't catch less than thirty trout, and I'll let you off."

 So the next morning Murray gets up bright and early, goes down to
the docks to where Walter Shaw keeps his boat, and the two of them
set off towards the middle of the lake. Walt takes them out to the
good ninety-foot flats just past Dome Island and stops the boat dead
in the water, just as pretty as you please. Then he stoops down by
the side of the boat, sticks a finger in the water, draws it out and
gives it a sniff. "Yep, looks good," he says, then puts his hand in
the water again, scoops up a little bit of it, gives it a taste, and
proclaims, "Okay, this is the spot all right." Murray, meanwhile,
is just sitting back watching all this rigamarole and wondering what
on Earth Walt could be up to.

 Well, next thing you know, Walt opens up a box sitting next to his
seat, pulls out a half-stick of dynamite, lights the fuse with his
Zippo lighter, and tosses it in the water. BOOM! A huge fountain of
water shoots up into the air, drenches Walt and Murray, and a couple
of seconds later there's fish floating up to the surface, dozens of
them, left and right. And Walt's right there with his net flipping
them into the boat one by one.

 Murray is flabbergasted. "Walt!" he says when his friend finally
gets done loading up the boat with fish. "What do you think you're
doing!? Now not only do I have to write you up a fish and game
violation, I'm gonna have to report you for using explosives
without a permit!"

 Walt doesn't say a word; he just reaches down into the box, pulls
out another half-stick of dynamite, lights the fuse and sticks it
in Murray's hand. He grins at Murray, and says, "So, you wanna talk,
or you wanna fish?"

--
 Jim Kasprzak          kasprzak@mts.rpi.edu (internet)
 RPI, Troy, NY         userfe0u@rpitsmts.bitnet