From: klg@george.mc.duke.edu (Kim Greer -- rjj)
Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave
Subject: Dial-A-Pope
Date: 12 Dec 90 17:04:10 GMT

  I read this in a mailing from Vatican Radio.  Maybe it's just me, but I
got a kick out of it when I spotted it:

(copied without permission from _Radio Vaticana Programmes_, Oct-Nov-Dec '90)

"TO HEAR THE POPE, DIAL HIS RADIO

  Pope John Paul II can now be heard at any time of day or night in four
different languages: English, Italian, French and Spanish.  It's as easy as
picking up the telephone and dialing a direct call to Rome.  This service,
provided by Italcable and inaugurated on April 17, 1989, was mainly designed
to not only bring the voice, but the teachings of John Paul II to an even
greater number of people.  These recorded messages include the Pope's
reflections and discourses on a variety of themes, collected from his
audiences aned pastoral visits around the world.  The card enclosed in this
pamphlet lists the numbers for our listeners to dial in in order to reach the
recordings.  For recordings in English, dial 39 7779 3020."

Well, at least it isn't a 976 number :^)

For the interested, there are (sort of) 33 language programs, with phone
numbers, listed on the back cover.  Their main switchboard # is 06/698.3551.

--
Kim L. Greer
Duke University Medical Center		 klg@orion.mc.duke.edu

------- End of Forwarded Message