[Prev][Next][Index]

[bingle: Thought this might be ok for yucks.]

------- Forwarded Message

Date:    Mon, 10 Sep 90 10:03:48 -0500
From:    bingle
To:      spaf
Subject: Thought this might be ok for yucks.

- ------- Forwarded Message

Captains log: Stardate Wed Sep  5 00:18:10 PDT 1990

"The Federation Starship NetLabs is circling the planet Product to which
a porting party has been dispatched.  However, because Mr. Spock is busy
reading his mail from NazGul, of the planet Alphalpha, Engineer Scott is
attempting to start a massive overhaul of the Computer's Software from
version 1.0 of Motif to 1.1."

	. . .

Scott:	I'm givin' her all I've got, Captin!  I've been lookin' at the
	code and I'm not sure if it's goin' to work!  I'm afred that
	it's goin' to blow if we try it!

Kirk:	Keep trying, Scotty.  We need to have that overhaul done before
	the porting party can proceed.

McCoy:	Jim!  I've looked at the bugs in the previous version and seen
	references to the bugs in the new version, and they seem to be
	of a type that are worse than their predecessors!  As for making
	an attempt at the port, I DARE NOT, Jim!

Scott:	Captin!  The prototype errors seem to be hangin' us up!  I'm not
	sure whether she's goin' to mek it.

McCoy:	Jim!  You've got to be sure that the problems we've seen in the
	previous version are going to disappear.

Kirk:	Mr. Spock, what do you think the porting party's chances of
	surviving on Product are, assuming we utilize version 1.1?

Spock:	After analyzing all the data in the Computer's memory banks, I have
	come to the conclusion that the probability of success is exactly
	3.1415926 percent.  However, I am somewhat concerned that there
	is a great possibility that new bugs will be introduced, and that
	the porting party will meet with great resistance from Product.

McCoy:	I dare say you might be right this time, you pointy-eared geek.

Spock:	I thank you for the compliment, Doctor.

Kirk:	Uhura!  What do you hear from those starships that have gone before
	us?

Uhura:	I'm receiving messages from NazGul, ArgV, and MarBru, Captain,
	and an occasional, though faint, message from the legions of
	O'EssEff.

Kirk:	Keep monitoring all frequencies.  We must get a handle on the size
	of this issue.

Uhura:	Captain, the porting party that was beamed down to Product is on
	the viewscreen.

Porting
Party:	Porting party to NetLabs.  We are not making very good progress
	down here, Captain.  We have half our phasers set to "dbx" and
	the other half set to "lint", but we are running out of time.
	We can see the dreaded beast, InterOp, just around the corner,
	and we can't tell if we'll be able to finish the port before
	it comes upon us.

Spock:	I recommend, Captain, that we seriously look into something else.

McCoy:	We dare not, Spock!  A change to the system at this late date could
	put this whole ship in jeopardy.  And how can we ask the right
	questions if we don't have all the answers?

Kirk:	Uhura, please broadcast a message to the other starships regarding
	the problems we've encountered, and see if these problems have been
	fixed in the new version, or if not, if there are workarounds for
	the previous version.

Uhura:	Right away, Captain.

	. . .

Announcer:

Will the porting party be able to get the new version in before InterOp
over takes them?

Will there be less bugs in Motif than there were before?

Will the Dynamic Static be cleared?

Tune in later.  Same Bug Time.  Same Bug Channel.

Bob Rench
10920 Wilshire Blvd., # 1103
Los Angeles, Ca.,  90024
(213) 824-2500
(213) 443-9740 - FAX

The opinions expressed herein are mine!  You can't have them!
Besides, I can barely speak for myself, much less a company like NetLabs.

- ------- End of Forwarded Message

------- End of Forwarded Message