[Prev][Next][Index]

[bostic@okeeffe.Berkeley.EDU (Keith Bostic): Canada's Young Are Flocking To Recruiting Offices in U.S.]

We'll let them join if they bring the beer...

------- Forwarded Message

Date:    Wed, 29 Aug 90 13:00:47 -0700
From:    bostic@okeeffe.Berkeley.EDU (Keith Bostic)
To:      /dev/null@okeeffe.Berkeley.EDU
Subject: Canada's Young Are Flocking To Recruiting Offices in U.S.

>From the August 28th New York Times:

Canada's Young Are Flocking To Recruiting Offices in U.S.
- -------------------------
   BUFFALO, Aug 27 (AP) -- Young Canadians who want a piece of the
action in the Persion Gulf, or just a job that their own military can't
offer them, have been flocking in record numbers to United States
military recruiters, officials said today.

   Army and Marine recruiters in the Buffalo area said inquiries from
Canadians had quintupled since the Persian Gulf crisis began, even
though Canada is also part of the international force in the gulf.

   "It's kind of sad, because we're getting more Canadians calling than
we're getting American kinds," said Sgt. John Taylor, a Marine Corps
recruiter in Buffalo.

   Canadians can join the United States military only if they hold green
cards or dual citizenship, either through being members of certain
Indian tribes or having parents who are United States citizens.

   Sergeant Taylor said he was receiving about five calls a day from
Canadians, compared with only two or three from United States youths.
Before the crisis, at most one call a day would be from Canada, he said.

   An Army recruiter in Niagara Falls said the story was the same at his
office.

------- End of Forwarded Message