Date: Thu, 06 Feb 92 15:02:27 PST
From: sfisher@wsl.dec.com
Subject: Call for Theories
To: eniac@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

    All right, I want to know where my hairbrush has been for the past four
    weeks.

Darkness on the Serengeti.  U-T'lach shifts the weight uncomfortably
from the balls of his feet, feeling the breeze across the savannah,
and shivers in the moonless womb of Africa.  I-T'thana sleeps beside
him, the smiling little one she bore nearly a whole cycle ago nestled in
the crook of her belly and breast.  A warmth comes over U-T'lach's heart;
will the little one someday have a Name of her own?  He smiles, thinking
of the three of them walking beside the water the other day, he and
I-T'thana taking short steps to match their gait to that of their
little one, her face smiling up at theirs as she proudly showed her new
ability to walk on two legs like U-T'lach and I-T'thana, their footprints
embedded in the clay at the rim of the Gorge.

The breeze chills, a crisper chill on U-T'lach's pelt than the wind
should be in the time of long days.  A thrum like the hunting call of
a big cat fills the Serengeti night, a thrum that builds and grows
where the cat's chuffing grunt would sharply bark below the stars.
The chill in the coarse, separate hairs on U-T'lach's skin recedes
from without, but from within it grows, and the hairs quill from his
body like rushes in a dust sprite.

A hole opens in the darkness above U-T'lach's sleeping family; the
brilliant night eyes, pinprick stars, are blotted by a large black
shape that sucks light the way the Serengeti mud sucks up the
rains when the days change.  The thrum in U-T'lach's spine courses
from this black shape, a block of darkness humming like the wind
through a taut branch heavy with morula fruit.

U-T'lach's mind forms images, images of something that had no Name,
something that the People had never seen; it was not in the memory,
it was not in the stories, it was not in the Dreams.  A thing,
smooth on the back like a mammoth's tusk, prickly on the front like
a porcupine but with even, smooth quills that glistened like moonlight
on the ripples in the Gorge.  A thinner smooth tusk jutted from one
end; shapes the color of sunset waters gleamed on the smooth face.

I-T'thana is awake now, the thrumming of the black obelisk having
shaken her bones.  Eyes wide, she stands at U-T'lach's side, her
hands twining the bristly pelt of his nape, clinging to him the way
her little one clings to her breast when she nurses.  Instinctively
she has put herself between the singing blackness and her little one;
her fear for herself outweighed by concern, older than her ancestor's
learned skill of walking upright, for the little one who has not yet
lived to hear her own name from the People.

Then, with a hiss, the black form before U-T'lach draws sparkling
stars from its depths, from the sky, from reflections in the eyes
and twisted hair of U-T'lach and I-T'thana, rushing and sizzling through
the night in a gleaming river that swirls and eddies in the center of the
obelisk.  The brightness limns them against the rock, their shadows
flirting with the limestone crevices that separate the Gorge from
the Serengeti; the noise raises in tone, the humming turning to the
susurrus of cicadas in the veldt when the hot sun beats its longest
from the clay-colored sky, the scream of a spotted she-cat as her
mate clamps her maculate neck in powerful toothy jaws and plunges
into her in the barbed pairing of their rut.  The ground shakes
lightly, sharply, like a red dog scratching its neck with a hind
foot, and then there is a pop and a tiny gust of wind, and in the
lambent, dying sparkles of creation, U-T'lach and I-T'thana see
before them the Nameless thing of the waking dream they shared.

As though another arm held his arm, U-T'lach jerkily reaches out
to grasp the small, smooth tusk that juts from the base of the thing.
It feels cool in his hand, like a river stone, smooth like a tooth,
and he turns it over in his grasp.  I-T'thana smiles; it is pleasant
to behold.  Jerky as her mate, her eyes show surprise as she is made
to reach out for the tusk.  She turns toward her little one, still
asleep with the fastness of babyhood in spite of the gleaming roar
of the black shape, which still looms in the dark above their nest.

I-T'thana turns, takes a halting step toward her little one, bends to
her knee as she comes alongside the tiny sleeping form, so perfect,
so vulnerable, like death without its terrors.  The buzzing from the
dolmen returns, and I-T'thana feels her arm being pushed, as though
in the current of the river that runs through the Gorge, toward the
head of her sleeping child.

No!  She fights it, every thew of her wiry frame bulging against
her gleaming umber skin, her breath coming ragged as she battles
the unseen force like the wind from this black stranger.  Yet she
is helpless, and at length her arm crosses the space between her
and the child, the strange gleaming tusk gripped in nerveless
fingers.  U-T'lach's eyes look on in horror as he thinks of the
way this little one smiles when she sees him return from the hunt,
the way her tiny fingers pinch his useless nipples as she suckles
from the full, rounded swellings on I-T'thana's ribs; what is this
hateful black shape doing to this child?  What nameless horror could
it possibly want from a helpless baby?

I-T'thana's hand, the tendons like gaunt branches against the sky,
reaches down and presses the moon-glinting quills into the matted
curls of her little one's head.  Then, almost tenderly, the force
that presses her arm toward some unspeakable dread pulls her hand
down toward the baby's shoulders.  A tug as the tangles unwind,
and the little one's head pulls and releases.  She awakens, sees
I-T'thana above her; I-T'thana tries to look calm, her face frozen
in a smile in the dark as she thinks of the season she spent bearing
this little one in her belly, of the tearing as she was released,
of the warmth of her toothless infant's mouth on her body in the darkness.
Tears are wrenched from her horrified eyes as she contemplates the
dangers to this tiny precious thing.

Her hand is made to press the tusk forward yet again, this time
pulling yet more tangles free from the tiny one's skull.  She winces
at the pull, yet does not fight.

[Geez, I'm sure glad no one asked about their lost innocence and
youth.... --spaf]