Date: Fri, 1 Mar 91 08:15:47 -0800
From: bostic@okeeffe.Berkeley.EDU (Keith Bostic)
Subject: Bring your umbrella ...
To: /dev/null@okeeffe.Berkeley.EDU

Californians for Earthquake Prevention and Climatic Improvement is
holding a rain-inducement ritual on Tuesday, March 5 at 8PM at the
Freight and Salvage Coffeehouse in Berkeley.

In case you didn't know, CEPCI has been addressing the question
``Are water conservation efforts exacerbating the drought?''
Their 24-hour recorded hotline present the following thesis:

Up to now, we have supported water conservation as a matter of
principle.  However, we are now looking into the possibility that
water conservation has gone too far.  If less water is used, less
water can pass through our drains and culverts into our treatment
infrastructure and thence to the sea.  Those of you who were fortunate
enough to attend elementary school will remember that water must
evaporate before the cycle of rain can begin anew.  But new studies
indicate that extreme levels of water conservation isolate huge
volumes of water in tanks, covered reservoirs, and pipelines, keeping
it from its ancestral ocean home.  If stored too long, these molecules
gradually lose their innate ability to evaporate.  Have the water
masters gone too far?  You figure it!

Now, some of these experts are urging religious groups to insert
recycled water into their sprinkling and dunking rituals.  We believe
this is, symbolically, the WRONG approach.  Instead of emphasizing
shortage, our rituals should show that we are ready for rain, and lots
of it!

Here's what you can do:

1. Wear an overcoat and galoshes when you go about your daily rounds.
   Let the rain gods know you're serious!

2. Avoid dried and salty foods.  Add soups and stews to your table.

3. Those of you who have not bathed for a month or more should do so
   at once!

4. Don't drink "dry" martinis.

5. Drink beverages such as coffee and tea that double as diuretics.
   This will help return more water into the ecosystem.

Our shaman-in-residence has advised us that we have a small window of
opportunity to take rain-affirmative steps to end the drought.

Californians for Earthquake Prevention and Climatic Improvement
receives no government or foundation funding.

There will be folk music preceding and following the rain-inducement ritual.
Admission $2

BRING YOUR UMBRELLA!

Call 415-995-2977 for more information on CEPCI.  Also take a look at our
list of "10 Simple Things You Can Do to Prevent Earthquakes."